Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Take good care of my baby


Everyone always told me that the worst thing about being a mom is seeing your child hurt. This was so true, and a tough lesson for me to learn. A few weeks ago, Ben, Mike and I all got this horrible stomach flu and just assumed that it was a bug that had to run it's course. Well, Mike and I got better, but for some reason, Ben just couldn't seem to recover. He spent one night in the emergency room getting fluids and then two days later he had to be admitted into the hospital until he started to show some improvement. Within a few hours of being admitted, we learned the reason that Ben was so sick, he had apparently developed c difficile. Unfortunately, the reason that he got it, is probably because he was on several different antibiotics for ear infections. Strangely enough, the treatment for this illness is yet another antibiotic. We ended up spending 4 days in patient at St. Alexius so Ben could continue to get fluids and IV antibiotics. During this time, we received so many phone calls, gifts for Ben, and home cooked meals that were sorely needed and so very appreciated! We couldn't have felt more supported, loved or cared about. All the balloons Ben got also kept him VERY entertained! The nurses and doctors took very good care of us while we were in the hospital, but after 4 days and 3 nights of sleeping in Ben's crib with him, we couldn't have been happier to get home! In the midst of all of this, I was supposed to be wrapping things up with my job at the Health Department and getting ready to start my new job at ND Council on Abused Women's Services. What a crazy month it has been! I tried not to get too worked up about it and follow my mantra "Things could always be worse." When I felt really overwhelmed like I might not get everything done, I thought about people who are dealing with children who have long term illnesses, or people who have lost their jobs in this horrible economy, or people wondering where their next meal will come from. I spent many a hospital hour thanking God for our health insurance and that both Mike and I have jobs with paid sick leave, so we could be with our sick baby and not worry about paying our bills. Ben has since finished his antibiotics and seems to be on the path to a full recovery! I also successfully wrapped up my job with the National Cancer Institute and am two days into my new job. Time flies when you are busy worrying that you don't have time to get everything done!

No comments: