Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wow....

I just took a look at my sister's blog, which she updates so beautifully, even changing her backgrounds frequently and realized that I haven't blogged in a month! I do have an excuse, or several of them.
1. We went on vacation for five days.
2. Work has been super busy!
3. School started for me again. (And Mike, which means daycare for Ben)
4. I went to Atlanta for 4 days for work.
I truly don't know what happened to August. We started out the month with a baptism for our new godson. As a parent, I am not going to put his picture on the internet without them knowing, but I did want to mention the baptism and how special we think it is that they trust us with this very important responsibility for their child. We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends, who have such sweet children!

Then a week into August, we packed up the car and headed to East Silent Resort in Minnesota for the Hjelseth/LaQua/Gilbertson family vacation. We had the most relaxing and enjoyable time! It is such a great family resort and we even met some people from Bismarck in the next cabin. Here is a summary of the weeks events:

Swimming:



Playing:


Boating:


Turtle Races:


Zorbaz:


Picture taking:


Drinking:
(Haha, don't worry! It wasn't open! But the adults did enjoy some drinks.)



And as if that weren't enough, we spent the rest of our time napping, updating our facebook statuses to let our friends know how awesome vacation was treating us (Mike, Nick and Nate also spent a great deal of time maintaining their facebook farms in the evenings), playing Wii, participating in resort activities and just enjoying each other's company. Such a great time!

We had such a great time that we were sad the whole day when we had to come home. After we came back to reality, it was back to work for me and back to the daily grind of being a stay at home dad for Mike. I think he has a whole new respect for people who stay at home full time, by the way. Staying home with a one year old for almost three months has been a bit of a challenge.

The rest of August was spent at Mike's parents house in Pick City enjoying Lake Sakakawea, at the zoo, at the park, at the pool and just trying to take in as much summer as we possibly could.
As of last week, it's back to life as normal. Mike is back at school and Ben is back at daycare. We say this every year, but this summer went by so quickly!! I am trying to soak in as many of the sun's rays as I can to get me through the long North Dakota winter. Phew, that was a lot for one post.

2 comments:

Dan and Leigh said...

loved reading about your awesome summer! Made me re-live it all over again! I grew up on Big Pine Lake right by Perham.....I won myself quite a few turtle races! Glad you had such a great summer!

Jessica said...

Thanks, Leigh! We have such a great time at the lake. You are lucky to have spent your summers there as a kid. I am so glad that we are able to stay in touch through the blogs! Take care!