Saturday, July 31, 2010

Where has the time gone?


This summer has truly flown by and I feel like we haven't even had a moment to catch our breath.  So where have we been and what have we been doing?  A large part of the summer has been spent doing the usual warm weather activities.  The first is making good use of our zoo pass.  Ben has actually started to know which path he needs to walk down to get to his favorite animals at the zoo.  It's always amazing to me how much he knows and remembers!  This year he seems to be very interested in the tigers.  


Earlier this summer, we were able to take Ben's cousins Will and Thomas, my parents and my brother with us.  I think Ben had a great time showing them around.  We took a train ride, pulled the wagon around and Uncle Nick and I even managed to have a little fun.                                                                                                                                                                    

                                                               
                                                               
                                                       

I am certain that the zoo pass was worth every dollar.  When we're not at the zoo, we have spent lots of time swimming. In the backyard and over at my old stomping ground at Hillside pool.  I have said it before and I will say it again, it is such a wonderful experience taking Ben to all the places that I went to as a kid. Those are moments in life where things just feel like they have worked out how they are supposed to.  He loves to spend time in the backyard playing in his pool and playing host to friends.

                          
                          
He always has a great time when other kids come over to play!  I think it's probably because he gets bored.  He's been home with Mike this summer and I don't think he gets as much kid time interaction as he's used to.  He will be starting daycare in a couple weeks, so I think that problem will be remedied soon enough.  I am really hoping that he makes the adjustment well. (Translation: I hope his mom makes the transition okay.)  I am already nervous about it!  
We haven't really had much time for vacation (yet) but we did manage to make it down to Minneapolis for the 4th and spent a really fun weekend with my sister and her family.  We spent an awesome morning at the Mill City Farmer's Market, enjoyed a great night out with Leah and Nate and Mike even got to take in a Twins game at Target Field.  Ben had a great time playing with Cousin Will all weekend and I can't get enough sister time so it was a great trip all around.  

Flowers at farmer's market
Ben and I at the farmer's market
Cousins

Dads like ice cream too
We have also managed to get in a night or two at Mike's parent's house in Pick City near the big lake.  Luckily, one of the nights when we were there the weather was perfect for a boat ride with Grandpa Russ.  Ben had the time of his life helping to steer Grandpa's boat. I wasn't really sure how we were going to get him out of the boat at the end of the night. These are the things in life that I absolutely hope Ben holds onto as a adult.  I know he might not remember details, but he has to remember feeling love like this from so many people.  As a little girl, and even an adult I was so close to my grandma, so I know how special those relationships can be.  I can physically see Ben's face light up when he sees any of his grandparents, so I know those bonds have already been made.  I just hope their love continues to shape the kind of person that he grows up to be.  As for the boat ride, I really am not sure who had more fun.  Grandpa Russ, Dad, or Ben? 

                            

                            

















In addition to all the fun we have had, we have also had our fair share of stress this summer with the replacement of our air conditioner, furnace, tires on my car and parts of our water heater.  It seems like when you own a house/car it's always something. Despite the unexpected expenses, I tried to tell myself constantly that when you put things in perspective, we really are blessed.  The things that broke around our house, are just that: Things.  Things can always be replaced. I hope you have been enjoying your summer as much as we have.  

No comments: