Friday, May 8, 2009

Splish, Splash!

Ben and I started swimming lessons at the YMCA in April. The "Beginning Perch" class that we are in has 7 other little fish and their moms and dads. The first time that I brought him there was one of those eerie moments in life where it feels like things are coming full circle. When I was four years old, my parents sent me to daycare at the Y and I still remember getting into that same pool for the first time with two little white bubble floaters strapped to my back and doggy paddling my way around. When I brought Ben there and we walked through the same door I walked through 24 years ago it felt crazy to be taking my own 15 month old son to the same place where I learned to swim. Sometimes, its a pretty cool thing to live in the town where I grew up and have so many memories. For me, there's something so nostalgic about things like that. Someday, I plan to tell Ben all about it while we're driving past the Y and every other place in Bismarck. He'll sigh and say "I know, Mom. You tell me that every time we drive by". At least that how it goes in my head.

So anway, back to Ben's swimming lessons, he didn't take to swimming as well as I had hoped, and was the only "crier" in his class. Luckily, that was nothing that couldn't be fixed by giving him some toys to hold onto while we splashed around in the water. Basically, his "lessons" consist of all the kids just getting used to the water, playing with some toys and then singing some songs together at the end. He's doing much better now. And he sure looks cute in his swimming trunks.

No comments: